September 14
We leave the coast behind us for a while this morning as we climb out of St Florent and continue southwards into a region unlike anywhere else on the island; Le Désert des Agriates. The region is named after the Corsican word agriates which means ‘cultivated plot’ or ‘garden‘. Staring out across the parched orange landscape it is difficult to imagine that the inhabitants of Cap Corse would once brave the rugged coastline by boat in order to climb the hills to tend their crops amongst the wild maquis and rocky outcrops.
We drop down rapidly out of Les Agriates, cross the national road and then continue on very minor mountain roads which lead us through numerous tiny artisan villages. After lunch we continue along the Route des Artisans, stopping for coffee in the tiny village of Belvedere, high in the hills above the town of Ile Rouse (Red Island). Finally we arrive in the glitzy resort town of Calvi where we’ll dine in the old town in the shadows of the ancient citadel.
We had another beautiful day - weather and scenery. The route description is as above. While we were some distance from the coast for most of the day, we did get some lovely views out that way. The road itself was beautiful too, as it hugged various mountains and wound its way on a very winding route. We had great views out over the landscape almost all day. I loved seeing the tiny villages sprinkled throughout the hills.
Logistically - half the group left at 8:30 and half at 9. Of course I was in the slow group, so departed at 8:30. This just allows the group to be less spread out throughout the day. The fast group didn't catch me until morning snack break, but then I was behind for most of the rest of the day and managed to arrive last. I managed to find a grocery store on the way into town and stocked up for post-ride snacks. The fashionable hour to dine seems to be sometime after 7:30, so I really need something after I'm finished riding for the day.
The old town of Calvi is gorgeous, and very busy with tourists. We did a quick walk around before dinner. I could have spent more time, but my plantar fasciitis isn't very happy when I'm walking.. Oh well - I did enjoy what I saw. We had dinner at an outdoor restaurant in the heart of the town; just a beautiful setting.
Our guide, David, has been posting lots of historical and cultural information for us. When I have more time I will try to copy some of that info in here.
Again - picture loading is not working; probably won't until I get home.............
One problem with eating so late is that it's pretty much bedtime by the time we're back at the hotel. Another big climbing day tomorrow..........
Stats for the day:
Garmin: 106.5 km. 1375 m up. 1348 m down.
RWGPS: 107.1 km. 2303 m up. 2271 m down.
Comments
Post a Comment