September 16

September 16:  Porto


Today offers various options depending on preferences and energy levels. The first is to simply relax and enjoy Porto. There is a small beach and harbour and numerous cafes, bars and restaurants in which to while away the hours. It is also possible to take a sightseeing boat trip along the coastline for a unique view of the Golfe de Porto. We recommend however that everyone takes a morning ride, climbing out of the bay to the village of Piana. The road rises through the World Heritage ‘Calanche de Piana’ – fantastic natural granite sculptures which must be seen to be believed.

It’s possible to retire in the village of Piana, take a coffee and return to Porto for the afternoon, whereas those hungry for more riding can press on around the coast before heading inland to experience one of the island’s toughest and most challenging climbs. “What goes up must come down” and an incredible descent through the dramatic Spelunca Gorge follows as we return to Porto.


I was all over option 1 above.  Everyone else went riding.  Two guys and our two guides did the big loop shown below.  The other 7 rode about 25 km out and back to Piana.  I'm sure it was a stunning ride, but I just didn't need another day of climbing in the heat; we'll have lots more opportunity for that!  

I went out to walk about the town, go up to the tower, go to the beach, and look in the shops.  At 11:30 I took a boat tour to the Calanques de Piana and Cape Rosso.  It was a great no effort way to see the amazing rock formations, go in some caves, and see things from sea-level.  

After a delicious lunch, the rest of the afternoon was spend in the air-conditioned comfort of my room  Just waaay too hot out there for me.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 13

September 14

September 10/11